Thursday, July 7, 2011

Double-Decker Pear, Havarti & Alfalfa Sprout Sandwich on Cinnamon Raisin Bread

I got the idea for this sandwich somewhere on the intertubes, but at the moment am unable to find the source. Suffice to say that the idea was not mine, but that I adore and am very grateful to the brilliant mind that thought it up. And wrote about it. On the internet.

This sweet and savory creation is what I would call a "fancy sandwich." Of course, it is still a sandwich, so its fancy only because of the scrumptious, high-quality ingredients that go into it. I am an enormous fan of creamy Danish Havarti, but this would also be delicious with brie. The sweetness of the cinnamon raisin bread is fantastic with just a little schmear of cream cheese to bring out the spice and the flavor of the sprouts.
Ingredients:
Cinnamon raisin bread - three slices per sandwich. I used Pepperidge Farm.
Alfalfa sprouts
Havarti or brie cheese, sliced as thinly as possible
Cream cheese - I used the "1/3 less fat" variety
1 Bartlett pear, thinly sliced (this is enough for two sandwiches)

Directions:
1. Toast your cinnamon raisin bread, and apply a thin layer of cream cheese to one side of each slice.
2. To assemble, layer cheese and pear on one slice of bread, then pile a tuft of alfalfa on top. Add a second slice of bread and repeat.
3. Serve with a vegetable or salad, but be sure to eat it while the bread is still warm. (Alternatively, let the toast cool before building your sandwiches and they would be fantastic to take on a picnic. Que romantico!)

These sandwiches are magic, so I'm a bit sad that nighttime photography is such a futile endeavor in my kitchen. Perhaps you will just have to take my word for it when I say that they are as lovely as they are delicious, and a huge bang for your effort buck. I served mine with some steamed green beans.
 

Quote of the Day: Sandwiches are wonderful. You don't need a spoon or a plate! ~ Paul Lynde

No comments:

Post a Comment