Thursday, April 14, 2011

Last Night's Dinner: BLT Salad & Creamy Avocado Dressing

So after cranking my oven up to 500 for The Bread Experiment, and therefore heating up most of the apartment, a salad seemed like the thing to do. Aside from cooking the bacon, this took about 15 minutes.

I had read a recipe for avocado bisque a couple of months ago, and it has still been in my mind. I didn't make the bisque itself, because it called for a great deal of buttermilk and that seemed gross to me, but I like the idea of it. (I think I'll try this one some day soon). So, I thought with a BLT salad, that an avocado dressing would be tasty.

In reality, it was just okay. Not bad, just not as good as I was hoping it would be. But truth be told, I kinda wish I had just chopped the avocado, mixed some oil and vinegar and called it a day.



Trying to be conscious of the bacon, I didn't add any salt, which I think was a mistake. All I really did was blend two avocados with about a tablespoon of light mayonnaise until it was creamy in texture. I also added about a cap-full of apple cider vinegar, and blended a bit more. The avocados were not overpowered by the other flavors in the dressing, which is what I was afraid of. Instead of the mayo, I think you could - and if I make this again, I would - use plain yogurt. That might also do more to thin out the texture, which was bordering on mousse-ey. Unless you use Greek yogurt, then you might end up with cement.

And now, a brief farewell.

To my great excitement I will be leaving tomorrow morning for a long weekend getaway with my mom and my sister in Providence, Rhode Island. I'll be back in Philadelphia on Monday night, hopefully in a residual food coma from all the fantastic Italian food and seafood there. If you're like me, you're wondering "What is Brady going to eat all weekend?". Since he hasn't been able to get into the kitchen edgewise with me around, I think he might enjoy the opportunity. Anyway, I should be back and blogging by the middle of next week.

Thanks to everybody for their support so far. There is lots more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment